Built by the Tilden Family in the mid 1880’s as School #8, our building originally served the children of employees of the Tilden Pharmaceutical Company. The building became vacant when a new four room school was built in Lebanon Springs in approximately 1905.
The New Lebanon Grange purchased the building in 1913 and owned the building into the 1930’s. The second floor was used as the meeting hall, while half the main floor was used a dining hall/kitchen and the other half rented to the New Lebanon Post Office.
After the grange, the building was used as a commercial space but returned again to classrooms in the 1960’s as the New Lebanon school system was awaiting completion of the Walter B. Howard Elementary school in 1970.
Subsequently it became the home to Lenny’s Restaurant, which survived into the 1990’s, and Sassafras Restaurant thereafter. The building then became an antique shop in the early 2000’s and fell rapidly into disrepair.
Purchased in 2017, the building underwent a three-year renovation to restore it to its current historically accurate condition. The top floor houses a beautiful AirBnB space and the downstairs, a farm brewery which opened in May 2020.
In the original spirit of a pub, we intend to create a kind of living room, a comfortable and welcoming space, where members of our community and travelers alike can come together and enjoy good beer, lovingly made from local ingredients, and each other’s company.
Copyright © 2018 Roaring 20s Brewery & Taphouse - All Rights Reserved.